Saturday, March 12, 2016

After years of not doing much art and putting things on this blog, I have finally returned, and yet with another commission.  More on that in a little bit, but for now I am happy to announce that I have recently graduated with a Bachelor's in Arts in Game Design.  While I love art and drawing from time to time, I am primarily a gamer.  Always have been.  In fact, it is through gaming that I picked up a pencil and started to draw more and more.
   Currently I am working as a designer/artist for a game called Mirrored.  I won't go into details about the game, but you can look at the company's site to find information on the game right here.  It's not a job, but more of an internship type thing.  The game is being developed by students at the university I went to, The University of Advancing Technology.
    I have had the opportunity to design some enemies with their behaviors, which others are programming and creating in-game visuals for right now.  It's very exciting to work.  Another task that I'm doing right now is making hands for giant hand enemy.  I am constructing the sprites for these guys and let me say that it is the most intimidating assignment I have had.  Hands are hard to draw, and I will have to animate them later.  Here's what I have so far.


While these may look good to start from, they are very hard.  Also I plan on changing the position.  Something more dynamic and aggressive like the Wall-Master enemies from the Legend of Zelda series.
Image found on The Spriter's Resource

Hands are all curved for these enemies on all the Zelda games.  I feel it would be easier in the end to make an art asset from this.

After this game, I'm telling people that I'm only going to do game designs.  No art asset creation.  I just don't have the drive for that.  However, maybe I'm just going to naturally enjoy it later on.  So maybe I'll continue.  I don't know.

On to the commission!  Just after I graduated, a friend of my wife was wanting a cover image for a family YouTube channel.  Their channel is called Life's Lemonade, and if you click here, you can visit them right now.  It is a young channel, so they don't have much yet, but it seems they are working diligently to make a presence.  I was asked to make little simple images of each of their family members so I came up with this.
Naturally, such a simple drawing did not take too long, but I felt it was well done.  I enjoyed doing these simple drawings.

Now for some news.  I do not know how much new stuff I will be uploading here, but blogging is something I hope to do more to make myself more well-known.  Even though I shared what game developing stuff I have done in this post, I am not doing to start a new blog for talking about my game development work.  I also will probably share a lot of opinions about games in general, since part of game design is understanding the market and what's out there.  I may some game stuff here, but it will probably be related to the art that I have done.  More on what the blog's name will be and where it is later.  I haven't started it yet.

Here is a picture of my diploma just for fun...

1 comment:

  1. Congratulations on your graduation, Tim! I hope to see more from you're blog.

    ReplyDelete